In order to help AdvantageVT participants become self-sufficient, responsible university students, we have developed a curriculum that prepares them for the academic rigors of a top-ranked American university while also helping them improve their English language skills. AdvantageVT also provides the skills students will need to succeed in both their academic and social lives.
All AdvantageVT students are required to take English for Academic Purposes classes, as well as participate in a University Success Seminar.
English for Academic Purposes 300 (Level 2)
This course provides the academic preparation required for success in introductory university courses, including advanced English training focusing on the four language skill areas (reading, writing, speaking, and listening). Content focus will be in the areas of engineering, science, and business.
University Success Seminar 300 (Level 2)
Seminar exploring university culture in general and policies and resources at Virginia Tech in particular. Participants will become aware of opportunities and responsibilities regarding student life, effective study habits, and self-management. There are weekly projects and assessments.
English for Academic Purposes 400 (Levels 1-2)
EAP 400 promotes academic skills such as analytical, critical, and creative thinking; interpersonal communication; technology literacy; and self-monitoring while developing college-level proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing. Content focus will be in the areas of engineering, science, and business. Team as well as individual activities are incorporated.
University Success Seminar 400 (Levels 1-2)
Seminar that cultivates a working knowledge of the details of degree planning, effective studies, support services, and the dynamics of academic interactions. Participants will become aware of opportunities and responsibilities regarding student life, effective study habits, and self-management. Projects and assessments occur weekly.
English for Academic Purposes 500 (Levels 1-2)
EAP 500 further cultivates academic skills including reflective thinking and problem-solving, teamwork and leadership information literacy, and goal-oriented self-adjustment while polishing English skills. Content focus will be in the areas of engineering, science, and business. Team and individual activities are practiced.
University Success Seminars
University Success Seminars will help you:
- Develop methods for effective note taking
- Set goals and manage time
- Understand the university’s acceptable use policy
- Explore Virginia Tech’s colleges and degree programs, as well as the university class structures
- Cultivate emotional intelligence
- Understand email etiquette and classroom communication
- Utilize the University Libraries and web resources at Virginia Tech
- Follow the undergraduate honor code
- Explore Virginia Tech’s student organizations and clubs
- Discover the university’s athletic and health resources
- Learn personal habits of health and wellness
- Understand Virginia Tech’s Principles of Community
- Explore the history of Virginia Tech
- Find out how to manage your money
- Learn to conduct a research project