Experimental Robotics Summer Program
Design, build, program, and test your own autonomous robots
- When: June 29–July 28, 2019
- Where: Virginia Tech campus, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Who: Any student ages 16–18 may apply
- Cost: $12,500, plus $160 application fee
Challenge yourself with a real university experience
In this rigorous four-week program, you will live on the Virginia Tech campus, take daily classes on a wide variety of fascinating topics, and explore the region with other bright and ambitious students from around the world.
You will also take part in workshops designed to promote entrepreneurship and develop leadership skills.
In addition, you will improve your English with daily language training tailored to your needs. These classes will help strengthen your grammar, listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
You’ll also explore the Virginia Tech campus and take part in field trips and cultural activities around the region.
Study at Virginia Tech’s renowned Computational Multiphysics Systems Lab
- Introduction to Autonomous Robots
- Robot Design and Programming
- Human-Machine Interface for Autonomous Robots
- Autonomous Robot Integration Performance Evaluation of Autonomous Robots
Learn from one of the world’s leading robotics experts
You will study at Virginia Tech’s Computational Multiphysics Systems Laboratory, one of just two such labs in the world. It has designed and developed a wide range of autonomous robots, from drones to humanoid robots.
The group is led by Tomonari Furukawa, a professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He is one of the few researchers in the world who specializes in the integration of robotics and computational mechanics. He has led teams in several international competitions, including the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Robotics Challenge in 2015 and the Mohamed Bin Zayed International Robotics Challenge in 2017.
Develop entrepreneurship and leadership skills
The program features eight workshops designed to help you identify business opportunities and become an effective leader.
- Do You Have What It Takes to Be an Entrepreneur?
- Young Entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurship Education and Enterprise Development
- The Startup Experience Process
- Self-Discipline and Self-Awareness
- Performance and Team Building
- Leadership and Identity
- Motivation and Effective Communication