Foreign Language Classes for Faculty and Staff
The Language and Culture Institute offers free foreign language conversation classes for all Virginia Tech faculty and staff. We offer classes in American Sign Language, Chinese, French, German, and Spanish.
Participation is free, though course books must be purchased separately.
Classes take place at the Language and Culture Institute on University City Boulevard. Parking is readily available and does not require a permit.
To register for a class or for further information, email the instructor directly.
This program is temporarily on hold until further notice.
Instructor: Angela DeVore, firstname.lastname@example.org
To register and confirm a seat, contact email@example.com. An auto response will be sent when the class is at capacity.
Designed for students with little to no experience.
- 4 p.m.-5:15 p.m. Thursdays, 840 University City Blvd.
This class will be taught using both voice and ASL. Missing more than one class will impact a student's ability to move forward in the class effectively. ASL I students are strongly encouraged to stay for ASL 1.5
Students must have taken ASL 1 in Fall 2019.
- 5:15.-6 p.m. Thursdays, 840 University City Blvd.
This class will be taught in a speech-free environment (no voice) in ASL only. A speech-free ASL-only environment promotes learning and respects the culture. No more than one absence is strongly advised. ASL 1.5 students are encouraged to attend ASL I as a refresher and to assist beginners in the class.
Instructor: I-Ping Fu, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5:30-6:20 p.m. Tuesdays, 840 University City Blvd., Room 1
- 6:30-7:20 p.m. Tuesdays, 840 University City Blvd., Room 1
More Advanced Conversation
- 4-4:50 p.m. Tuesdays, 840 University City Blvd., Room 1
Instructor: Claudine Pleimling, email@example.com
- 12:10-1 p.m. Fridays, 840 University City Blvd., Room 5
- 12-12:50 p.m. Thursdays, 840 University City Blvd., Room 5
Additionally, prospective participants who have studied Spanish before but did not take the 101, 201, or 301 classes in Fall 2019 must take this placement test.
Participants are welcome to attend two different levels if they wish.
- 5-5:50 p.m. Tuesdays, 810 University City Blvd., Annex 101
- 6-6:50 p.m. Tuesdays, 810 University City Blvd., Annex 101
- 7-7:50 p.m. Tuesdays, 810 University City Blvd., Annex 101