We offer a variety of high-quality university preparation and intensive English programs to help you meet your personal, academic, and professional goals.
Click on on of the programs below to learn more.
Students who meet all Virginia Tech undergraduate admission requirements except the minimum language test scores, may be eligible for the AdvantageVT pathway program.
This program is ideal for students who want to earn credits that will count toward their bachelor’s degree while improving their academic skills.
- Two levels, based on English proficiency:
- Level 1 (two semesters) is for students with advanced proficiency
- Level 2 (three semesters) is for students with high intermediate proficiency.
- Three pathways, based on your interest: Business, Engineering, and Science.
- Three entry dates per year — in the spring, fall, and summer.
- No SAT or exit TOEFL required.
- Upon completing the program, students are guaranteed entry to Virginia Tech with advanced standing in their freshman year.
The Intensive English Program helps international students meet their personal, academic, and professional goals through intensive English language study. Our courses are designed to help you make the transition to academic life at a college or university in the United States.
- Full-time, intensive instruction in all language skill areas
- 10 levels of instruction from low-beginning to advanced
- Concentrated preparation for university studies
- An advanced computer-assisted learning center
- Concurrent graduate-level university enrollment for qualified students
- Up to 18 months of study, depending on placement
The Intensive English Program is available at both of our locations — Blacksburg and Fairfax.
If you are an excellent student and wish to apply to a degree program at Virginia Tech but need to improve your English skills in order to obtain the necessary TOEFL score, don’t worry — you may be eligible for conditional admission!
Our conditional admission program for international students lets you work toward meeting the requirements of attending Virginia Tech while you study at the Language and Culture Institute.
Acceptance into the program is based on an evaluation of your high school records. As a conditionally admitted student, you are accepted into your chosen program on the condition that you develop your academic English to the required standard through our Intensive English Program.
This InclusiveVT initiative allows spouses of Virginia Tech employees, faculty members, graduate students, undergraduate students, visiting scholars, and researchers to take classes in our Intensive English Program at a greatly reduced rate.
Virginia Tech employees themselves also may enroll.
Classes are offered during two 8- or 9-week terms each semester, plus two 6-week terms during the summer.
The Language and Culture Institute offers free foreign language conversation classes for all Virginia Tech faculty and staff. We offer classes in Chinese, French, Spanish, and German.