AdvantageVT Student Handbook
AdvantageVT is designed for F-1 postsecondary students who satisfy all Virginia Tech admissions requirements but fail to meet English proficiency requirements for direct admission into the university's undergraduate programs in engineering, business, and the sciences.
- Provide a rigorous, intensive preparatory year program that supports participants as they progress from advanced English training at the Language and Culture Institute (LCI) through university freshman-level English, mathematics, and discipline-specific engineering, business, and science courses.
- Assist participants in becoming self-sufficient, responsible university students familiar with the academic support resources available to them and how/when to engage them.
- Support participants throughout the pathway experience by providing workshops and seminars in academic and soft skills, including leadership and intercultural competence.
- Introduce participants to American culture, particularly university culture, and provide the skills they will need to succeed in both their academic and social lives.
- Facilitate activities which help to integrate participants into the university, such as matching them with undergraduate mentors and arranging introductory visits to classes in their chosen disciplines.
Students should read this Student Handbook carefully and ask any questions from the AdvantageVT program director or a program advisor.
In addition to the rules set out in this handbook, all students enrolled in AdvantageVT are subject to the rules and regulations set out in the following Virginia Tech publications:
Students are also expected to respect and observe the guidelines set out in the Virginia Tech Principles of Community.