The mission of the Intensive English Program is to assist adult international students in meeting their personal, academic, and professional goals through intensive English language study.
- To prepare international students for admission to Virginia Tech and other U.S. institutions through rigorous, progressive English language training.
- To develop students’ English language learning strategies and critical thinking skills to promote lifelong language development.
- To educate students about U.S. culture to prepare them for success in their academic and/or professional lives in the U.S.
- To increase diversity in the university's student population by enabling outstanding international candidates to meet English language admission requirements.
- To foster integration with and enrichment of the university community, local community, and global community by providing meaningful intercultural opportunities and experiences.
For more than 40 years, instructors and staff members at the Language and Culture Institute have worked hard to make students' time in the United States easier, more pleasant, and more productive.
Please read the Student Handbook carefully. Keep it for your future reference. Ask questions. Make suggestions if you see ways this information can be improved.
In addition to the rules set out in this handbook, all students enrolled in the LCI's Intensive English Program are subject to the rules and regulations set out in the following Virginia Tech publications:
Students are also expected to respect and observe the guidelines set out in the Virginia Tech Principles of Community.