Mission and Goals
The AdvantageVT-Master’s program prepares promising international students to succeed as full-time master’s degree students at Virginia Tech. This is accomplished by helping them advance their English language and academic skills, fostering their successful integration into the Virginia Tech and local communities, and developing their intercultural competence to become exceptional citizens in the spirit of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).
- Provide a rigorous, intensive preparatory program that supports participants as they progress from advanced English training at the Language and Culture Institute through master’s-level discipline-specific engineering, business, and science courses.
- Assist participants in becoming self-sufficient university students who are both familiar with and able to use available academic support resources
- Support participants throughout the AdvantageVT-Master’s experience by providing workshops and seminars in academic and soft skills, including leadership and intercultural competence.
- Introduce participants to U.S. culture, particularly university culture, and provide the skills they will need to succeed in both their academic and social lives.
- Facilitate academic and social activities that integrate participants into university life.