Most students who are selected for admission will have completed more than the following minimum requirements and have at least a B+ (88%) grade-point average.
To qualify for Advantage VT, you must have graduated from an accredited secondary school or high school with these courses on your transcripts:
- 3 units of math (includes algebra I, geometry, and algebra II)
- 2 units of laboratory science (chosen from biology, chemistry, or physics)
- additional academic units (foreign language is highly recommended)
Some majors have other requirements, such as an additional year of advanced math or lab science.
English Language Requirements
Your score on the TOEFL iBT (or a similar test) determines the Advantage VT level at which you start.
- TOEFL iBT 74
- IELTS 6.0 (with no subsection less than 6.0)
- PTE 50
- TOEFL ITP (paper-based) test 537
- TOEFL iBT 60
- IELTS 5.5 (with no subsection less than 5.5)
- PTE 44
- TOEFL ITP (paper-based) test 497
To have your TOEFL score automatically sent to the Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute, please specify CEEB code C096 on the test form.
No SAT, No Exit TOEFL
Virginia Tech does not require the SAT for international applicants.
Advantage VT students do not have to take a TOEFL test after completing the program.